I think there are some interesting new possibilities when it comes to a phone that knows that it’s owner is looking at it and I wanted to put my thoughts down before trying this for myself.
I could see the option of having any of the following being a potential default mode or that could be enabled for certain apps or situations:
- Lock the screen immediately if any other face is seen (LastPass, OnePassword)
- Prevent anyone but the owner of the phone from exiting the current application (Guided Access)
- Lock the screen after a delay if the owner’s face isn’t there. (Giving the phone to kids or someone temporarily)
- Allow only certain faces to make purchases, while allowing other faces to unlock and use the phone otherwise.
Some are already implimented in iOS 11 on the iPhone X, but I think there will be many more to come:
- Do not lock the phone if the owner is looking at it.
- Dim the screen if no one is looking at the phone faster to save battery.
- Undim the screen if someone then looks at it without the need to touch the screen.
- Do not show notification details unless the owner is looking at the phone.